Armenian Cucumber Infused Vodka

Armenian Cucumber Infused Vodka While wandering through my local farmer’s market recently, I noticed one of the produce vendors was giving out samples of a gnarled, striped, cucumber-like fruit.  I had never seen this type of cucumber before, so I made my way over for a taste.  After further investigation, I found out that they were Armenian cucumbers!  Fresh, mild and crisp, these Armenian cucumbers taste similar to regular cucumbers; however, they are actually in the melon family.  With thoughts of refreshing Summer cocktails in mind, I decided to purchase one with the sole intention of making a fresh batch of Armenian Cucumber Infused Vodka.

Armenian Cucumber Infused Vodka

Armenian Cucumber Infused Vodka

1 Armenian cucumber, cut into ribbons*
1.5 liters good quality vodka**

Armenian Cucumber Infused Vodka Place Armenian cucumber ribbons into a large, airtight jar.  Fill the jar with vodka to cover the ribbons (about 1.5 liters).  Seal jar and let steep for 5 days.***

After 5 days, strain the vodka into a clean jar or bottle.  Discard Armenian cucumber ribbons.

Makes 1.5 liters.

* If you can’t find an Armenian cucumber at your local grocery store or farmer’s market, you can simply use a regular cucumber for a similar flavor.   Just make sure you peel the skin off of your cucumber if it has a wax coating.

** The amount of vodka you use will really depend on the size of your cucumber.  The Armenian cucumber that I had purchased was pretty large, so I needed a lot of vodka.  This is not an exact science, so feel free to eyeball the quantity.  Just make sure your cucumber ribbons are submerged in the vodka.

*** You can shake the jar every couple of days if you would like, but it isn’t necessary.  Try not let the mixture steep for longer than 7 days for it will start taking on a bitter flavor.  I started tasting the vodka on day 4 to check the flavor.

Comments

Hey,
    Thanks for the idea! I was just given a bottle of Stoli and as I am not a vodka drinker it has just been sitting.

I should infuse something in it!

I was thinking, if Armenian cukes are not available, I would recommend English cukes instead or regular cukes. Their flavor is fresher and their skins and seeds less bitter and challenging to deal with. I can’t even eat regular cukes but English ones are no problem so I use them all the time.

BTW, if you have some spare time, would you peruse my blog. I am starting a “blog list of note” on it and I’ll list yours if you list mine?

Heidi

PS…I really love your pics!

I can’t help but think that you posted this just for me. ;-) There are no words to express how much i love cucumber infused vodka and it’s subtle flavor. I have a few kinds of vodka I want to make, and this is going on my list

@Heidi You are correct. If you can’t find Armenian Cucumbers, English or Hot House cucumbers will give you a similar taste. The key is to find cucumbers that don’t have a waxy coating. Most cucumbers you find the grocery store have a wax coating that needs to be peeled. Keep up the great work with your blog! Thanks.

@Brian Cucumber Vodka is definitely one of my new favorites. I am thinking about making another batch this weekend! My first batch didn’t last too long.

@Kristi I do love farmer’s markets. I picked up some really interesting items this past weekend. I’ll be posting a few throughout the week!

@Morgiana I make a cranberry orange vodka over the holidays that I give away to my friends and family. Everyone seems to enjoy a good bottle of homemade vodka :)

@The Mom Chef That is an interesting idea. Please let me know if you try it! Perhaps taste the ribbons first to make sure they are still good.

My ancestors are Armenian, I love cucumbers and Vodka is in my top three lists of favorite liquors to use for infusing….Brandon you are a true kindred spirit! I’m an avid infusion enthusiast! I tried a few new infusions this year and just recently did my six week taste test…Yum! Your Armenian cucumber infusion sounds delighful. I’ll have to give it a go before our warm summer days fade away! I love to share my recipes so I’ve included my blog link to my infusions. I hope you get the chance to take a look!
    Love your blog! You’re a very talented young man.

@Rebecka Thank you for the kind words! Your infusions look wonderful. You have managed to capture the essence of Summer produce in your jars! Keep up the great work. I’ll have some new fall infusions coming up over the next few months.

This looks like the perfect base for a nice fresh end of summer cocktail. Could you post some recipes as to how you would use it? Martini? Funky cucumber moscow mule?