Pluot Sorbet

Pluot Sorbet You are probably wondering… what the heck is a pluot??  I know I certainly was when I spotted a huge pile of speckled, plum-like pluots at the Farmer’s Market recently.  A pluot is a complex hybrid of a plum and an apricot.  Both sweet and tart, pluots are a juicy stone fruit that exhibit a stunning combination of pinks, reds and whites when sliced open.  If you can’t find pluots at your local market, you can also make this recipe with plums or apricots.

Pluot Pluot Sorbet

3 cups sliced pluots, pits removed (about 4 to 5 pluots)
½ cup sugar (or to taste)*
Juice of ½ lemon
Pinch of salt

Pluots

Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and purée until very smooth.  Drain the pluot purée using a fine mesh basket strainer, pressing to squeeze out as much juice as possible.  Discard leftovers skins.

Place the purée in an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

Makes 1 quart.

* I started with a ¼ cup of sugar and then tasted the purée to see if it needed more sugar.  The amount of sugar needed depends on how tart your pluots are.  Continue to add sugar and taste until you reach your desired balance of sweet and tart.

Comments

I’ve seen pluots at the farmers market, but I’ve never tried them. I’ll have to pick some up next time, this sorbet sounds delicious!

@Mrs. B Agreed. I had some leftover pluots sliced over yogurt and granola. Thanks!

@Jeanne Definitely! They are in season now, so get them while you can.

I have A LOT of pluots, and I’m going to make some pluot soft serve some time this week. Since I don’t have an ice cream maker, my plan is to go with a pluot-flavored banana soft serve. :)

There are different varieties of pluots too, some sweeter than others.

Oooh how cool! I’ve never tried a pluot before, but this sorbet looks delicious! I’ll definitely have to keep an eye out for some next time I’m at the grocery store.

@Jason I enjoy grilling stone fruit as well. Let me know how it turns out!

@Sprinkled with Flour Yes! I was at a local wholesale flower spot and they had the most beautiful calla lilies – all sorts of colors I had never seen before. I had to pick up a bunch.

@Kim I had my first taste at a farmer’s market as well. I really enjoy strolling through a farmer’s market and discovering new flavors and ingredients.

@Annie Good luck! Try your local farmer’s market. But hurry – they won’t be around for much longer.

I LOVE pluots! This sorbet looks great.
    As I write this, I have a cantaloupe sorbet chilling in the ice cream maker. I hope it turns out as good as yours looks…

I like apricots but not a huge plum fan (although I like prunes…I know…I’m really an old grandma at heart). But I like pluots. I usually dont love the idea of hybrid fruits cause I generally think we shouldn’t mess too much with nature. Or maybe the plum raped the apricot? anyhow….your sorbet looks awesome! I haven’t made sorbet with my ice cream maker yet, but I’ll try this!

@Karen Cantaloupe sorbet sounds wonderful! I made a cantaloupe granita last year that was really refreshing.

@Eden Haha I’m not sure how the pluot came about but I’m glad it’s around! Also, I find that sorbets are the easiest thing to make in the ice cream maker. A sorbet base is basically fruit juice and sugar!