Heirloom Tomato and Peach Caprese Salad

Heirloom Tomato and Peach Caprese Salad I’ll have to admit that I’ve been feeling a little unhealthy over this past week – minimal time spent doing physical activities and maximum time spent consuming large quantities of processed junk.  In an attempt to turn things around, I made this Heirloom Tomato and Peach Caprese Salad last night.  Topped with a homemade balsamic vinaigrette, this salad is a fresh mix of heirloom tomatoes, sliced peaches, mozzarella cheese and chopped basil.  Followed by a lengthy walk through Balboa Park, this dinner was just what I needed to go from feeling no good to so good.  Continue reading for the recipe.

Heirloom Tomtatoes Heirloom Tomato and Peach Caprese Salad
Adapted from Appetite.

For the salad:

2 pounds ripe heirloom tomatoes, sliced into wedges or chunks
1 pound ripe peaches, sliced into wedges or chunks
10 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, chopped
A handful or two of fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped

For the dressing:

¼ cup balsamic vinegar
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Heirloom Tomato and Peach Caprese Salat

Combine balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, dijon mustard, garlic and dark brown sugar in a mason jar.  Season with a large pinch of kosher salt and several turns of freshly ground black pepper.  Screw on the top of the jar and shake to combine.

Drizzle some of the dressing in the bottom of a large salad bowl.  Add sliced tomatoes, peaches, mozzarella cheese and basil.  Top with more salad dressing to taste.  Gently toss to combine.

Makes 6 servings.

Share on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook
This entry was posted in Fruit, Photo, Recipe, Salad, Summer, Vegetables and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Heirloom Tomato and Peach Caprese Salad

1. 1

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Brandon Matzek, Brandon Matzek. Brandon Matzek said: Heirloom Tomato and Peach Caprese Salad http://bit.ly/aIF0Cs Topped with a homemade balsamic vinaigrette, this salad is healthy & delicious! [...]

2. 2
    Bonnie says:

Wow, I never thought about combining tomatoes, peaches, and mozzarella cheese into a salad. Will definitely have to try this out!

3. 3
    Anna says:

I love the flavour combination in your salad. I would never have thought of adding peaches to the mix.

4. 4
    Michelle says:

I love the flavor combination of peaches with heirloom tomatoes. It is the perfect last bite of summer as fall truly hits us!

5. 5
    Suzee says:

Hmmm…tomatoes and peaches….I’m definitely going to have to try that! Thanks for the idea!

6. 6
    RavieNomNoms says:

That looks delicious and refreshing!

7. 7
    Tiffany says:

Brandon, Another great recipe, and great photos! I’ve always loved a Caprese salad, never thought to add peaches. We walk at Balboa all the time, maybe we will run into you someday!

8. 8
    Amanda says:

Wow, I never would have thought of adding peaches to this. I’m going to have to try this soon!

9. 9

Beautiful. Love the ‘peachy’ addition!

10. 10
  11. 11
    Mike says:

Fascinating idea to modify a caprese to include peaches.

You said you adapted the recipe.

What were the changes that you made?

BTW, do you have a preference for what brand or source for the fresh mozzarella?

12. 12

I am definatly adding peaches to my next caprese salad and I’m also becoming your newest follower because I love your fig jam and beautiful pictures too! Thank you!

13. 13
    Brandon Matzek says:

@Tiffany I love Balboa Park!! So beautiful. I like to take my dog Jack (chihuahua/pomeranian mix) to the fountain and back. I’ll be sure to keep an eye out for you.

@Mike I added fresh mozzarella to the mix. Penny’s recipe is perfect the way it is, but I wanted to incorporate some sort of protein. I have found good, fresh mozzarella at Trader Joe’s, Costco and local Italian Markets. Which one I purchase depends on where I am doing my food shopping that day. Thanks!

@Lindsey Thanks and welcome!

14. 14

That’s a really lovely salad! I wonder how it would taste if the peaches were grilled first.

15. 15
    Becky says:

I’ll have to wait ’till next year to make this salad here in in Chicago burbs. Peaches would be a sweet addition to the Caprese salad!