Meyer Lemon Sorbet

Meyer Lemon Sorbet

I recently served this Meyer Lemon Sorbet as a palate cleanser at my Thanksgiving 2010 dinner.  The flavors of this sorbet are well balanced and bold.  Meyer lemon juice gives the sorbet a sweet citrus flavor and lemon zest provides a tart punch that is sure to arouse your senses.  One quick side note (for those of you who don’t know me well) – I am just a little obsessed with meyer lemons, so please expect more meyer lemon recipes over the next few months.  Last year I made meyer lemon curd, meyer lemon shortbread cookies, meyer lemon jello (shots?), meyer lemon drops and more!  Check out the sorbet recipe after the jump.

Meyer Lemons Meyer Lemon Sorbet
Adapted from Simply Recipes.

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 cup freshly squeezed meyer lemon juice (about 6 lemons)
2 teaspoons lemon zest

Meyer Lemons

Prepare an ice bath (ice and water) in a large bowl and set a medium size bowl in the bath.

Add sugar and water to a small saucepan and warm over medium high heat, stirring until sugar has completely dissolved.  Bring the mixture to a boil and let bubble for 1 minute.  Remove from the heat and pour into the medium bowl sitting in the ice bath.  Stir occasionally to expedite the cooling process.

Once cooled, add meyer lemon juice and lemon zest.  Once the mixture has completely chilled, cover and transfer for the refrigerator.  Let the mixture sit for a few hours or up to a day in the refrigerator.  The longer the mixture sits, the more tart it will be (from the lemon zest).

Once the desired tartness has been achieved, strain the mixture through a fine mesh basket strainer into a clean bowl or measuring cup.  Discard lemon zest.

Place the mixture in an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

Makes about 2 ½ cups.

Share on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook
This entry was posted in Dessert, Fruit, Photo, Recipe, Sorbet, Winter and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Meyer Lemon Sorbet

1. 1

A refreshing dessert after a heavy holiday meal!

2. 2
    RavieNomNoms says:

I love lemon sorbet…thanks for sharing. Your pictures are very pretty, as usual ;-)

3. 3

What flavors!! I love it…though it’s cold right now!

4. 4
    Janice says:

Nice and light. A good break from all the gingerbread and mincemeat floating around.

5. 5
    Sandra says:

Reminds me of summer. Ah, summer. Thanks for sharing.

6. 6
    TiffKey says:

I’m kind of obsessed with Meyer lemons too! They’re shiny … and they make a GREAT vinaigrette. You wouldn’t think that they would change the flavor that much … but they TOTALLY do!

7. 7
    ping says:

Beautiful! I’m totally refreshed just by looking at them!

8. 8
    Brandon Matzek says:

@Belinda I do understand it is colder in other parts of the country (and the world); however, it was 80 degrees in San Diego when I made this sorbet :)

@TiffKey I was just considering making a vinaigrette with meyer lemon juice. Any recipe suggestions?

9. 9

Yay! Meyer lemons are back in season. I am so excited. I just went online, Googled ‘purchase Meyer lemons’ and there they were, ready to deliver. Can’t wait to receive them so I can use them in your Meyer Lemon Sorbet recipe. Thank you.

Your photography is magnificent. I almost wanted to lick the screen.
    Great to see so many Meyer lemon fans.
    Meyer Lemons are like love. Sometimes hard to find, but well worth the wait.

Frances Busher
    IMC

10. 10
    Brandon Matzek says:

@Frances You don’t even know how excited I was when I saw that first pile of meyer lemons at Costco. It’s my favorite time of the year!

11. 11

[...] already mentioned my love affair with Meyer lemons in a previous post.  This Meyer Lemon Curd is further evidence.  Made with only four ingredients, this curd is [...]

12. 12
    BigFatBaker says:

So glad I found your recipe! I just bought a bunch of meyer lemons today…I can’t wait to make this!

13. 13

[...] and recipes in the years following, and that spirit of exploration is still alive in me today.  Meyer lemons, figs, kabocha squash, chanterelle mushrooms, fennel, black cardamom, farro, Mexican [...]

14. 14

[…] taste buds after a rich and decadent dinner buffet.  Usually, everyone gets a scoop of Meyer Lemon Sorbet.  This year, I though I’d try something new  Tart and sweet, this vibrantly hued Cranberry […]