Stuffed Mushrooms

Stuffed Mushrooms I’ve been in quite the baking mood recently.  Several days ago I was scanning the kitchen admiring my bounty of baked goods perched atop cake stands and nestled in cookie tins when I had a sudden craving for… something healthy.  Now don’t get me wrong, I heart all of my baked goods and will never give them up.  But it is good to have something healthy every now and then.  I landed on these Stuffed Mushrooms.  In the past, I’ve encountered mushrooms stuffed with all manner of craziness and baked into an unrecognizable mess.  This is not that case.  Stuffed with just a wee bit of Parmesan, chopped mushroom stems, bread crumbs, garlic and parsley, these Stuffed Mushrooms are extremely flavorful and have a lighter, healthier feel to them.  Accented by a fresh punch of parsley, the flavor of the mushroom is the spotlight of this dish.  Continue reading for the recipe.

Parsley Stuffed Mushrooms
Adapted from How to Cook Everything. [iTunes Link]

1 pound large cremini mushrooms
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ cup freshly made bread crumbs
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Stuffed Mushrooms
Preheat oven to 400°F.  Grease a baking sheet with non stick spray or dab of extra virgin olive oil.

Using a damp kitchen towel or paper towel, wipe the the mushrooms clean of any grit.  Trim off the tough bottoms of each stem.  Carefully remove the stems and set aside.  We are going to stuff the caps, so be sure to keep them intact.

Chop up the reserved stems and add them to a medium sized bowl with the egg, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and garlic.  Toss to combine and then season to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.  Stir in enough extra virgin olive oil to make the mixture glisten.  You want the stuffing coated, but not swimming in olive oil.

Stuff each mushroom cap with a good spoonful of the stem mixture.  Place the stuffed caps, stuffed side up on the prepared baking sheet.  Transfer to the preheated oven and cook until the tops are lightly golden brown (about 15 minutes).

Let the mushrooms cool a minute or two before serving.

Makes 6 – 8 servings.

Comments

Major L-O-V-E!!! I heart mushrooms :-) I’ll take them anyway they can be done. Stuffed is a great way to go. I find the flavors to be rockin’! I’m one of your peeps who does “weird and crazy” to her stuffed mushrooms. There are bell peppers, cream cheese, and lobster in mine :-) YUM!

2. Karen Clippinger says

These sound fab! My husband and I did some catering around the holidays and did a stuffed mushroom that got great reviews if you would like to try…use cream cheese let it soften. meanwhile in a saute pan combine finley chopped onions, cooked bacon chopped fine, green onions finley copped, a few of the stems of the mushrooms 1 clove garlic minced. After nice a crispy, let cool andmix with cream cheese, place in bag and pipe into the musshrooms and bake about 15-20min. They were a big hit!! Thanks for the reciepes I love them.

Brandon, these are simply stunning! I didn’t discover mushrooms until I was in my 30′s, and now I just can’t seem to get enough of them. I’m eager to give these a try! Nicely done!

I made practically the same recipe last night, except I used larger mushrooms and scraped the middle out of each one – but just a little bit, and then used the mushroom, bacon, garllic and rice to stuff them with. This was all topped with breadcrumbs, cheese and parsley and than baked. Mine were yum too and a complete meal.

Those look like perfect, savory little bites to me. A nice complement to all those baked goods. They’re perfect for entertaining…or enjoying by yourself. :-)

6. Jessica Majestic says

These looks a-ma-zing and I am going to stop at the store on my way home from work to get the supplies needed to make this in the next few days! Thanks for sharing :-)

@Hester Lobster and mushrooms… wow, sounds delicious.

@Karen Mmmm, I love the addition of bacon. I think I am going to have to give that recipe a try! Thanks for sharing.

@Kooky Girl That does sound like a substantial meal that would be lovely with a large bowl of hot soup (mushroom soup maybe?). Thanks for the suggestion!

@Gabby Cremini mushrooms have a better flavor when cooked. White button mushrooms are more flavorful raw.

@Jess Thanks for the comment :) Let me know how they turn out. I’m sure Paul will love them.

8. Lindsay says

I made these last night after finding them on foodgawker and they were delicious, and easy. Thank you for sharing. My boyfriend LOVED them, and they were inexpensive to make, so these will have to be added to the repertoire.

Awesome!! So glad you enjoyed. These little nuggets are definitely one of my go-to, crowd-pleaser appetizers :)

9. Larry Combs says

Made these last night for a dinner party! They were a hit! Delicious and quick to make! My friends will be seeing these for a while!