Blueberry Infused Gin

Blueberry Infused Gin Several weeks ago, I was browsing around the internet looking for a flavored simple syrup recipe when I stumbled upon this wonderful website called Post Prohibition.  Run by Josh Sullivan, Post Prohibition is Baltimore-based movement dedicated to coming up with some serious cocktails.  Now as you all know, I have a strong affinity towards home infused alcohol and killer cocktails, so you can imagine the excitement I was feeling when I first discovered this trove of hand crafted beverages, infusions and simple syrups.  Given that Kitchen Konfidence and Post Prohibition share some of the same ideas and values, a partnership between the two seemed completely natural (duh. winning.).  Over the next few months, expect to see some totally fun, imaginative cocktails courtesy of Josh Sullivan.

This recipe for Blueberry Infused Gin is the base for a pretty spectacular cocktail (to be featured in the next several weeks).  The infusion is made with cooked, organic blueberries and a full bottle of citrusy Plymouth Gin.  Bright, fruity and delicious, the finished gin can be layered into a cocktail or simply enjoyed on the rocks.  Continue reading for the recipe.

Blueberries Blueberry Infused Gin

This recipe is courtesy of Josh Sullivan of Post Prohibition, a Baltimore-based movement that celebrates the craft of the cocktail.  Josh enjoys creating well-balanced, artistic cocktails often featuring fresh, seasonal ingredients.  If you have enjoyed this recipe, be sure to visit Post Prohibition for more cocktail inspiration.

3 cups organic blueberries
1 750 ml bottle of Plymouth Gin

Plymouth Gin Give blueberries a good rinse, then add to a large pot (no need to dry them).  Warm blueberries over medium heat, stirring often.  Cook blueberries until they release a decent amount of liquid.*  Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.

Add blueberries with juices to a large, airtight jar.  Pour in entire bottle of gin.  Seal the lid and store in a cool, dark spot for 5 days.  Be sure to give the jar a good shake at least once a day.

After 5 days, strain infused gin through a fine mesh basket strainer into a clean bottle or container.  The more solid bits you strain out, the longer the gin will last!  Store in the refrigerator.

Makes approximately 750 ml.

*You can eyeball this step.  I stopped cooking the blueberries once more liquid was visible than solid berries.

Share on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook
This entry was posted in Alcohol, Infusion, Photo, Recipe, Summer and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Blueberry Infused Gin

1. 1
    PJ says:

Sounds fantastic! Can’t wait to see the cocktail recipe.

2. 2
    Dana says:

Very interesting! Love this. Thanks for sharing :)

3. 3
    thom y says:

looks awesome!

4. 4
    Stacey Rider says:

I really want to try that… looks delish!

5. 5
    Sandra says:

You have THE BEST cocktail recipes!

6. 6
    Alex English says:

This sounds delicious!

7. 7
    Jackie says:

WOW. I love it. Project for summer months, I believe! :D

Jax x

8. 8
    Jason Phelps says:

I love your infusion and cocktail posts. I tend toward the same things and have several new experiments on deck. Homemade Southern Comfort being one I am repeating from last year.

Jason

9. 9

[...] Matzek of Kitchen Konfindence wrote a won­der­ful arti­cle on my blue­berry infu­sion. Below is an excerpt from the [...]

10. 10

Another great post…I really enjoy Plymouth gin. I’ve given you an award on my blog. You can view it here:

11. 11
    Melanie says:

What is the name of that jar that you used? I have been searching for jars like that to make alcohol in infusion but keep coming up empty handed.

12. 12

[...] was so much fun.  For those of you who know me well, you’re probably thinking that this project was definitely a perfect fit.  Continue reading for a recipe from the book and giveaway [...]

13. 13
    Tom s. says:

I’ve used this recipe a couple times and LOVE it. Do you think vodka could be substituted for gin here? Thanks!

• 13.1
      Brandon Matzek says:

Excellent! Glad it worked for you. You could certainly use vodka, but the flavor would be different. Still good, but different.

14. 14

[...] I covet her photos and ability to make everything look just like it tastes: Delicious!  The Blueberry-infused gin idea originates from Post Prohibition a very stylin' and hip web site embracing the concept of [...]

15. 15
    Aaron says:

I made a blueberry infused vodka recently but used fresh berries, will try cooked next time. I currently have a red currant and lime gin in the works, as well as a grapefruit-ginger gin as well as there are no sloe’s where I am currently living. Great recipe.

16. 16

[...] learned about infusing booze from a very cool website Post Prohibition.  The recipe for Blueberry Infused Gin is from KitchenKonfidence.   Post Prohibition not only tells you how to [...]

17. 17
    Phil G says:

I have started some with a slightly different recipe. 1 pound of uncooked blueberries, but pricked each fruit. Put in a glass jar with full bottle of gin and 1 pound of sugar. I have done this with damsons in the past and it is superb, so hopefully the blueberry gin will be great too!!