The BEST Tartar Sauce

Tartar Sauce I hate tartar sauce.  A phrase I often found myself saying after tasting a dab of the unappealing, white goop that usually accompanies seafood entrees at restaurants.  With each order of fish ‘n’ chips, I always taste the tartar sauce thinking that perhaps one time it will actually taste good.  Somehow I am always disappointed.  So you can imagine the look on my face when my friend asked me to recreate his mother’s version of tartar sauce.  If you are having trouble imaging this look, let me describe:  mouth agape, eyebrows furrowed, face scrunched and upper lip slightly snarled.  Despite my obvious disapproval, he turned to me and said, “Trust me, you’ll love this.”  He was right.  Creamy mayo is blended with tangy dill pickles, salty capers, fresh parsley, minced garlic and bright lemon juice.  The finished tartar sauce packs a savory punch that works so well with seafood (especially crispy fried fish fillets).  You could even eat this sauce with just a spoon.  Continue reading for the recipe.

Chopped Capers Chopped Dill Pickles The BEST Tartar Sauce
Recipe courtesy of Ruth Marrs.

4 small dill pickles, finely chopped
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
1 tablespoon capers, drained and finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup mayonnaise
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Tartar Sauce Combine dill pickles, parsley, capers, garlic, lemon juice and mayo in a small bowl.  Mix until well combined.  Season to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Chill for 1 hour before serving.

Makes about 1 1/3 cups.

Share on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook
This entry was posted in Photo, Recipe, Sauce and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to The BEST Tartar Sauce

1. 1
    Averie says:

great recipe but LOVE the pic with the pickles on wood and the knife. GREAT SHOT!

2. 2

The Tartar Sauce is really very healthy sauce for health. It is my favorite sauce. It looking awesome. It is really very great recipe. Thanks for sharing such a best sauce recipe.

3. 3

I seriously wish I had some fish to fry after reading this! I don’t usually like tartar sauce either but I bet this is so flavorful with all the fresh dill and pickles!

4. 4
    Tes says:

It sounds like a great tartar sauce ever! I want some fried fish now :)
    Tes

5. 5
    Authenticsuburbangourmet says:

Great combination of flavors and certainly several notches above the average tarter sauce.  Great photos!!!

6. 6
    Veronica Gantley says:

Brandon, you out did yourself this time. I ususally add some grainy mustard to my tarter sauce. I think I like yours better. As always, another great recipe.

• 6.1
      Anonymous says:

Thanks Veronica.  Mustard would be a nice addition.  However, this sauce is already packed with bold flavor.

7. 7

I’ve never added capers to mine and now I can’t think why not! what a perfect addition.

8. 8
    Kateiscooking says:

That’s so close to the tartar sauce I make.  Love it!!!

9. 9
    poie wane says:

Here this recipe i looking great and i always taste the tartar sauce thinking that perhaps one time it will actually taste good.  I wan to make it tonight.
    Physiotherapy in Knutsford

10. 10
    Mary Beth says:

That is very close to the tartar sauce I make. I’ve never used the garlic, but I do use paprika. I will try yours without the paprika, and see if I like that too. Sometimes variety is great. Thanks for the great recipe.

11. 11
    Leah says:

Love this recipe! It was a little to tart for my hubby though(he prefers the sweet one, yuck!)…lol
    I added some sour cream and dill to it as well!

12. 12
    Susan Wright says:

Thank you! I love anyone who takes the time to prepare worthy sauces! An addition of creme fraiche at our house made this the perfect tartar sauce for us. Well done!

13. 13

[...] with this killer tarter sauce from Kitchen Konfidence and some creamy [...]

14. 14
    Matt says:

Add about half a teaspoon of wasabi and it is spot on for my recipe.

15. 15

[...] So hopefully that fish had a fun life, did everything it wanted to do, and was happy. Because when it’s over, that’s it. Pass the homemade tartar sauce. [...]

16. 16

17. 17

Brandon,
    I too hate Tartar sauce. It always tastes like it’s ruining the flavor of the food, instead of enhancing it. I tried your recipe with some crab cakes I made and I have to say it is fantastic! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

18. 18
    Mark says:

Just a perfect complement for quality fish, all the participants at the dinner party agreed.

Thank you.

19. 19
    Emily says:

In the middle of frying catfish at 11PM in a small town is a bad time to find out youve run out of tartar sauce. We live an hour from the closest 24 hour grocery so I attempted to make my own. I must say I dont believe I will ever go back to eating the store bought junk again! It took some getting used to, and we all kept wondering what it was missing and we realized the sodium level in yours was much lower than store bought. I now prefer it with less salt and think for the benefit of everyone in the house we will stick with this recipe from now on. Thanks for sharing!