Baby Apricot Clafoutis

Baby Apricot Clafoutis

Several days ago, a friend generously graced me with a small bounty of baby apricots.  These little things are seriously adorable.  No larger than a fat cherry, the baby apricot is sweet, colorful, slightly tart and wonderfully fragrant.  Every ounce of my self control was needed to avoid devouring them on the spot.  To feature this seasonal treat, I decided to bake them in a clafoutis, a rich, creamy French dessert.  Flavored with light rum, lemon zest and vanilla, this warm, comforting Baby Apricot Clafoutis is a versatile dessert that comes together with minimal effort.  The batter can easily be made in a blender and used with any fruit you have on hand (regular apricots, cherries, strawberries, figs, raspberries, etc.).  Continue reading for the recipe.

Baby Apricots Baby Apricots Baby Apricot Clafoutis
Adapted from here.

3 cups baby apricots, halved and pitted
2 teaspoons light rum (optional)
2 eggs
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Fine grain sea salt
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
Confectioners sugar, for dusting

Baby Apricots

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Lightly butter an 8-by-8 baking dish and place on a rimmed baking sheet.

Spread halved apricots out evenly in the bottom of the baking dish and sprinkle with light rum.

In a blender, combine eggs, heavy cream, granulated sugar, lemon zest, vanilla, fine grain sea salt and flour.  Process until smooth and incorporated.  Pour the batter over the apricots.

Bake until the clafoutis is puffy, golden brown on top and firm to the touch (40 – 45 minutes).  The center should be completely set.  Let the clafoutis cool slightly before serving.  Finish with a dusting of confectioners sugar on top.

Makes 4 – 6 servings.

Comments

1. Anonymous says

I know a lot of folks who don’t eat eggs (they’re allergic, for health reasons, or concerns about animal cruelty). Here’s an awesome site that gives tips on cooking and baking without eggs: http://EggFreeLiving.com

2. Platanosmangoes says

It seems that all I have been doing today is catching up on your posts and commenting.    I agree with you about the egg…i cannot live without them…..

What a beutiful picture of your Clafoutis

Brandon, this is sheer perfection!

I love apricots.  I have made one clafoutis in my life years ago.  Must re-make!!  And it’s so easy looking.

And BEAUTIFUL pics!  Just stunning.

4. Terris @ Free Eats says

Those pictures are absolutely dreamy. The colors of those baby apricots are so beautiful that they look surreal!
    Great recipe and I’m really pleased to have found your blog on Tastespotting. Looking forward to browsing recipes now.

5. Anonymous says

This sounds like the most perfect dessert, almost insultingly easy yet you would never be able to tell by just how gorgeous it looks! The apricots are so very cute and im sure taste wonderful but i love the fact the recipe is so versitile, i definitely think i will give it a go thank you :)
    Stunning photography also, especially like the kind of imperfect dusting on the first one, lovely!

• says

Thank you!  This dessert truly is easy.  Some of my friends gave the recipe a skeptical look.  They didn’t know what a Clafoutis was, so they immediately thought it was some sort of complicated French dessert.  Not true at all!

6. Nancy Buchanan says

Gorgeous color!!! This is one of my favorite summertime desserts – easy and elegant -what could be better!!

That looks deliicous! I just baked an apricot clafoutis today too but wasn’t too pleased with the outcome as the recipe I used had too much milk in it (I think) but yours looks worth trying!

8. Marla Meridith says

Hi Brandon, this clafoutis looks wonderful! Perfect for summer entertaining.
    We are in our final week of Get Grillin’  - Dessert is the theme and we would love if you submitted up to any 3 recipes (they don’t have to be grilled) to our link up. This one would be perfect! This week we have a Rouxbe Cooking School giveaway. http://su.pr/2YaIiV