If you are looking for a substantial breakfast beverage that is nutritious, delicious AND easy, this is the smoothie for you. Made with cooked oats, Greek yogurt, apple, cinnamon, maple syrup, turmeric, lemon and vanilla, this Spiced Oatmeal Smoothie will have your tummy filled and your taste buds pleased. The oats are packed with fiber which will keep you full longer. Blending in some non fat Greek yogurt adds protein without fat. Turmeric has a laundry list of health benefits helping with weight management, depression and inflammation. I blend this smoothie up several times a week and I find that my mornings are much better after downing ones of these. Continue reading for the recipe.
What’s your favorite breakfast smoothie? What food or beverage really gets you going in the morning?
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used non fat)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for dusting
- Pinch of turmeric
- 1 apple, cored and roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- A small squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- 1 fresh date, pitted and chopped (optional)
- Ice cubes
- Combine oats and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cook for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- To a blender add milk, yogurt, cinnamon, turmeric, apple, vanilla, maple syrup, lemon juice, date (if using), ice cubes (7 - 8 if you like it thicker) and cooked oats. Blend on high until smooth.
- Pour into a glass or jar. Finish with a light dusting of cinnamon on top.