Pear and Lemongrass Infused Vodka

Pear and Lemongrass Infused Vodka

This recipe for Pear and Lemongrass Infused Vodka is made with slices of crisp, floral Anjou pear and bright, fragrant lemongrass.  The inspiration behind this infusion?  Body wash.  Several weeks ago I purchased a variety of new body washes from The Body Shop including Lemon & Thyme, Watermelon & Eucalyptus, Apricot & Basil, and my favorite, Pear & Lemongrass.  I remember standing in my shower, poof well-sudsed, thinking to myself, “Hmmm, this would make a darn good infusion!”  Days later, I was happily sipping on this wonderfully aromatic alcoholic concoction.  You just never know when inspiration will strike!  I selected Anjou pears for this infusion because they have some light citrus notes that pair well with the lemongrass.  Bosc pears would be delicious here as well.  Have you ever had a surprise moment of inspiration?  If so, please share below.  Continue reading for the recipe.

Anjou Pears Pear and Lemongrass

5.0 from 1 reviews
Pear and Lemon Grass Infused Vodka

Author:
Recipe type: Infusion
Serves: 750ml
Ingredients
  • 2 ripe Anjou pears, cored and sliced
  • 1 lemongrass stalk, sliced into coins
  • 750ml vodka
Instructions
  1. Place sliced pears and lemongrass in a large, airtight jar. Fill the jar with vodka, seal, and store in a cool, dark spot. Steep for 5 - 7 days. Shake the jar every so often and taste frequently.
  2. Strain the vodka into a clean jar or bottle through a fine mesh basket strainer lined with a layer of cheesecloth.* Discard solids.
Notes
* You want to be certain that you strain out all of the solid materials from the vodka. Any leftover particles will breakdown over time and have an adverse affect on the taste. You should strain our the vodka with a fine-mesh basket strainer or a coffee filter (or both if you are worried!). Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 to 3 months.

Comments

The inspiration behind this drink is hilarious but, you never know when it’s going to strike and some of the weirdest inspirations yield the best creations. The lemongrass and pear combination is just divine!

I’ve been in a booze making fury since November. Coffee liqueur, cranberry liqueur, limoncello now brewing and most recently chocolate liqueur for Valentine gifts. But this is so where I want to go…infusions vs liqueurs. I’m planning a lemon/lavender infusion as soon as my lavender plants bloom this coming year but in the meantime…this is calling my name. I need a room addition for all the booze I want to make!

Hi Kal, you could mix this in a cocktail or just enjoy as is. Try using it in a recipe that normally calls for citrus or pear vodka (like a lemon drop for example).

The jar with the pear and lemongrass inside looks very beautiful. Ahh, inspiration strikes at the strangest places. I made these tea-flavoured shortbread cookies a couple weeks ago which were inspired from David’s Tea.

Hmm. I have Bosc pears and lemongrass in the house. No vodka, but this may be the inspiration for a dessert or soup. Thanks for suggesting the flavor combination: maybe a lemongrass simple syrup to poach the pears in…

I absolutely LOVE this idea… but how did it taste? What did you mix it with and/or use it for?

I’m stumped, because all I can imagine is a club soda mix…. surely there is something more delicious that I’m completely overseeing??

With many of my infusions I like to pour a glug or two in a glass filled with ice. Stir in some simple syrup and lemon or lime juice to enhance the sweet-tart levels then top off with soda. Delicious!

Also, you could try using this infusion in a recipe that normally calls for citrus or pear vodka.

Inspiration can strike at any moment – even in the shower :) I can’t keep track of all the strange places I’ve gotten my ideas. Lately we’ve been getting into infused vodkas and just made one with fresh ginger which turned out delicious. Post coming soon. We can’t imagine spending a fortune on all the flavored vodkas out there, especially when we can make them at home.

7. Damien says

So, i tried this and let it steep for about 2 weeks. The vodka turned brown. I’m kinda scared to drink it. Did I let it steep too long?

Hi Damien, it’s ok if the vodka changes color. My vodka ended up being a very light shade of brown. The vodka shouldn’t be harmful to your health; however, I can’t guarantee the flavor. Herbs and things like lemongrass can impart an unfavorable flavor if left in too long. I would just taste it! That’s the fun part about making your own infusions. Experimentation :)

8. Glenn says

I have been planning to make a pear infusion for a month. Tonight your recipe won. It is in the jar and I can’t wait to enjoy this summer over ice of course. Maybe a little lemon Peligrino Water.

Excellent! The sparkling water would be a perfect accompaniment. Enjoy! I just reached the end of my infused vodka three weeks ago, so I need to get started on a new batch.