Blood Orange Marmalade

Blood Orange Marmalade

So I think I might have a new obsession: Orange Cardamom Scones + Blood Orange Marmalade + Mascarpone Cheese.  Sweet, tart, creamy, flaky, and buttery.  Does it get any better than that?  Not just for scones, this sunset-hued spread can liven up any slice of buttered toast or cream-cheesed bagel.  Typically thought of as a breakfast food, marmalade can actually be used in many other applications.  Try spooning a dollop over vanilla ice cream to brighten up your late night dessert.  This marmalade can also be shaken into a seasonal cocktail or be used as the base of a fruit vinaigrette.

I’m already one paragraph in, and I have yet to mention the best part of this recipe.  It only requires 3 ingredients.  And 1 of them is water!!  If you’ve never made marmalade before, don’t be intimidated and give this recipe a try.  I’m sure you’ll be surprised at how easy it is.  Continue reading for the recipe.

Blood Oranges Sliced Blood Oranges Making Blood Orange Marmalade

Blood Orange Marmalade

Author:
Recipe type: Pantry
Serves: About 6 cups
Ingredients
  • 2 pounds blood oranges (9 to 10)
  • 6 cups water
  • 5 cups white sugar
Instructions
  1. Thoroughly wash the outside of each blood orange. Top and tail the oranges (remove the ends) then slice in half. Trim away the core of each orange and remove any seeds. Reserve core and seeds. Thinly slice each half widthwise then slice in half lengthwise.
  2. Place chopped oranges in a large bowl and cover with water. Bundle up all cores and seeds in a small square of cheesecloth. Be sure to tie the ends tightly so nothing comes out. Submerge the bundle into the bowl of slices and water. Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight.
  3. Remove the cheesecloth bundle and discard. Pour blood orange slices and water into a large pot. Add sugar, stirring to combine. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat then reduce to low and let simmer until reduce by more than half, stirring occasionally. Test the consistency of the marmalade by placing 1 tablespoon of the mixture on small plate. Place the plate in the refrigerator for 10 minutes. If you find the marmalade is a bit too runny after 10 minutes, return the saucepan to the heat and simmer away for another 5 – 10 minutes. Repeat this process until desired consistency is achieved.
  4. Transfer hot marmalade to sterilized jars (pour boiling water over the jars and lids) and seal. Once the jars have cooled, store in the refrigerator.

Related recipes and articles:

Blood Orange Olive Oil Cake

Blood Orange Sangria

Blood Orange Pie

Canning 101

Orange Marmalade Cocktail

Blood Orange Frozen Yogurt

Blood Orange Lemon Fizz

Comments

Haha, thanks!! Yeah a paleo marmalade might be difficult. I guess you could do it with all honey.

I love blood oranges but have only made marmalade once and it was way more complicated than this. I agree that being hooked on the scones, marmalade and mascarpone is quite the treat. Well, anything with mascarpone… Gorgeous photos!

Does blood orange marmalade taste different from regular orange marmalade? I always save my orange rinds to make the crystallized orange rinds that are dipped in chocolate but have never tried making marmalade because I generally think its too bitter…

Blood oranges do taste different than regular oranges, but this marmalade is similar in that it is both sweet and bitter.

Nice!! I need to catch up on Downtown Abbey ;) I haven’t gotten into it yet. So many shows to watch!

This sounds so easy and the photographs are lovely. Curious: Want is the benefit of adding the core and seeds to the soaking orange pieces? I have never had a blood orange but this recipe makes me want to try them. Farmer’s market, here I come. :)

I just made several jars this weekend, from the blue chair fruit cookbooks–strawberry-blood orange and blood-orange and lemon! I was too busy this spring and missed marmalade season so thankfully blood oranges have a long season. Your marmalade looks beautiful. I love what a great yield you get from marmalade vs. other types of jam.

Hi Steph, I have not tried freezing marmalade, so I’m not sure if it can be done. This will last for at least 6 months in the fridge. Enjoy!

5. Jimbo says

I love blood orange marmalade so much that I buy 4 kilos when they’re in season – I chop all of them up then make a batch with half and freeze the other half of cut up oranges.

In the middle of summer when there’s no blood orange marmalade left, I thaw the frozen oranges and make another batch- it works a treat.

And people LOVE this marmalade as a gift – I bring a jar to dinner parties and bbqs.

That’s a great idea! Do you freeze the cut up oranges in freezer bags? Or plastic containers? Thanks for sharing!

Brandon,

Delicious marmalade. This came out perfectly. I will be adding these to the jams and marmalades that we are giving away at our wedding in May 2014. This recipe made exactly 8 7oz jars.I did add about a tablespoon of Meyer lemon juice to balance the sweetness and brighten it up a bit. The oranges I bought were super sweet and juicy, so the lemon juice helped to balance the super sweet oranges. Thanks for the wonderful recipe. I’ll be making it again.

• says

Thanks Brandon. I am thinking of trying your recipe with a mix of Meyer lemons and blood oranges. I live in Northern California and am blessed with friends who have highly productive Meyer lemon trees.

Let me know how it turns out! I have a friend with a citrus grove in his back yard. I’m going to make a visit at the end of the month. Apparently it’s a bumper crop year for the blood orange trees!

7. Deborah Marquez says

I have an overabundance of blood red oranges and I would like to try this marmalade. I have made plenty of jams. I usually use pectin and then submerge to seal in a jelly pot. You have suggested that all I need to do is place in boiling water. Can I do it the other way? Also, what would happen if I added compari?

Thanks Debbie

Hi Deborah, my instructions will not result in a shelf stable product. You would need to store in the refrigerator. If you want to make the product shelf stable, you could certainly go through the standard canning process to seal the jars. Campari would be a wonderful addition! You’ll want to add in 1 – 2 tablespoons at the end (after the marmalade has cooked). Enjoy!