Better With Bacon

Everything’s better with bacon, right?  Even this cocktail.

Better With Bacon CocktailBetter With Bacon, a cocktail from Greg Henry’s Savory Cocktails, starts by steeping sliced bacon in a mixture of peppery rye, lime juice, simple syrup, and liquid smoke.  After a 10-minute infusion, the bacon-rye mixture is strained over ice, and shaken until well-chilled.  Finished with a simple slice of cooked bacon, this savory cocktail is crisp, bright and full of intrigue.  The liquid smoke amps up the smokiness of the rye and bacon, while the lime juice cuts through the rich, heavy flavors.  Simple syrup is added for balance.  In addition to my Bacon Bloody, this Better With Bacon cocktail is one of my favorite ways to consume bacon in liquid form.  If you are a bacon-lover (like me), I’d highly recommend that you give this cocktail a try.  The ingredient list is fairly simple, and you could even use bourbon here if you didn’t have rye on hand.  Continue reading for the recipe.

Raw-BaconJust a little reminder: Dad’s Day is coming up this Sunday.  If your dad loves a good cocktail, I’d definitely recommend getting him a copy of Savory Cocktails.  Greg’s book features a sizable selection of interesting cocktails, infusions, and techniques.  I particularly love the spicy, herbal, umami, bitter and smoky sections.

Savory Cocktails Greg Henry

This recipe calls for 3 drops of liquid smoke.  Liquid smoke is pretty powerful stuff, so to avoid over-smoking this cocktail, I used an eye dropper to measure.  If you don’t want to purchase an eye dropper, I’d recommend pouring a tiny amount of liquid smoke on to a spoon before adding to the cocktail.  Too much will ruin the drink.

Bacon Infused Rye

4.7 from 3 reviews
Better With Bacon

Barely adapted from Savory Cocktails by Greg Henry.
Author:
Serves: 1
Ingredients
  • 2 slices cooked bacon, divided
  • 1 1/2 oz. rye
  • 1 oz. lime juice
  • 1/2 oz. simple syrup*
  • 3 drops of liquid smoke (preferably using an eye dropper)
Instructions
  1. Slice one of the bacon slices into thin strips, and place in a small bowl with rye, lime juice, simple syrup, and liquid smoke. Let infuse for 10 minutes at room temperature.
  2. Pour the bacon-rye mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a cocktail shaker. Discard solids. Add ice to the shaker, and shake until well-chilled. Strain into a coupe glass (or martini glass), and garnish with a slice of bacon.
Notes
* Please don't buy simple syrup. It's very easy to make at home. Place equal parts sugar and water in a small saucepan (for example, 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar), bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and let boil for 1 minute. Take the saucepan off the heat, and let the simple syrup cool to room temperature before using. Done! How easy is that? Simple syrup can be store in the refrigerator for many weeks.

Comments

I wasn’t really into any bacon cocktails and then I tried one at PDT in NY and really liked it. I think a lot of people over use the bacon / smoke flavor so it overpowers everything. The eyedropper tip is a good one :)

I so love that you chose this one. I want to know (seriously) if you thought 3 drops of smoke was too much. Originally I said two drops, but it became a lime drink so I changed it to three. The eye dropper and a deft hand are essential. I wish I had the space in the book to have said all that. GREG

Haha, yes – this recipe immediately jumped out at me while I was flipping through your book. 3 drops is perfect.

3. Derek Floyd says

OMG, I love you! (Please tell Jorge not to get jealous)! :-)

A bacon cocktail? Seriously. So awesome!

PS – I saw your note about simple syrup, which is how I would make it. But today I was making coconut sorbet from one of my Jean-Georges Vongerichten cookbooks, and his instruction is the same (equal parts water and sugar) except he instructs to “boil until clear and slightly thickened, about 7 minutes.” This was new to me. Just thought it was an interesting detail that I’d share.

Hehehe, aww thanks Derek! An interesting note about Jean-Georges’ simple syrup. I’m wondering if he modified the process just for the sorbet recipe. Typically with sorbets, you’d want to keep water content to a minimum to avoid texture issues. Boiling the syrup longer removes water. I love coconut! What’s the coconut flavoring in the recipe?

• Derek Floyd says

Yeah, I think you are correct. His recommendation with this sorbet recipe, and also other dessert recipes makes sense. You may want a thicker syrup for these purposes.

When I made the comment, the syrup was still cooling in the fridge. When I went to make the sorbet tonight, which was much thicker than one you would want or need for a cocktail, I realized the difference. So you add the cooled simple syrup and Malibu Rum (yum!) to a mixture of coconut milk, heavy cream, whole milk, and sugar, which you simmer, then cool. Basically, those are all of the ingredients: coconut milk, whole milk, heavy cream, sugar, Simple Sugar Syrup, and Malibu rum. I can’t insert a picture here, but it was yummy. I paired with another one of his sorbets – Raspberry Chile Sorbet, which has this interesting heat tingling on your palette, but it’s not hot. I thought the coconut would balance the heat of the chile in the raspberry sorbet.

Love your blog!

4. Caitlin says

I made a few of these for my husband and I and we loved them! I don’t have rye so I substituted Crown Royal, it tasted like a smokey whiskey sour. Now I need to pick up a bottle of rye to see the difference :-)

I have Greg’s book. I actually won it from a giveaway on Brian Samuel’s blog! I have been wanting to make this cocktail for a while now. I like commenter that said it tastes like a smokey whiskey sour, you know I love my whiskey sours. What brand of rye would you recommend? I still want that west elm table…

Nice!!! Yeah it’s a really interesting book. I like my cocktails more on the savory side ;) I used Bulleit Rye.

1. […] Better With Bacon, a cocktail from Greg Henry’s Savory Cocktails, starts by steeping sliced bacon in a mixture of peppery rye, lime juice, simple syrup, and liquid smoke. After a 10-minute infusion, the bacon-rye mixture is strained over ice, and shaken until well-chilled. Finished with a simple slice of cooked bacon, this savory cocktail is crisp, bright and full of intrigue. The liquid smoke amps up the smokiness of the rye and bacon, while the lime juice cuts through the rich, heavy flavors. […]