This post may contain affiliate links.
It seems like Summer has finally arrived in San Diego with temperatures rising into the low 80’s. Over the weekend, I was enjoying the mid day heat in my backyard (in the company of several darting humming birds) when I started to crave something cold and refreshing. This Champagne Grape Granita immediately came to mind being that the frosty dessert is almost effortless and doesn’t requiring any heating. Freshly pressed champagne grape juice is paired with crisp white wine, lemon juice and sugar to create a cool summer treat.
Champagne Grape Granita
- 2 pounds champagne grapes*
- 1 cup white wine or water
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar (plus additional to taste)
- In a food processor, puree champagne grapes. Let mixture sit for at least 20 minutes.
- Strain the puree through a fine mesh basket strainer into a metal bowl, pressing skins to squeeze out as much juice as possible. Whisk in wine, lemon juice and sugar (taste and add more sugar if needed).
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze mixture for 2 hours. Take the bowl out of the freezer and scrape the icy bits from the edges to the center.
- Repeat this scraping process every 30 minutes until the entire mixture is frozen and flaky.