This post may contain affiliate links.
When I first saw this recipe by Smitten Kitchen, I didn’t know how I felt about tampering with the classic Rice Krispie Treat (one of my childhood favorites). Several weeks later, I decided to test the recipe at a dinner party (appropriately, a modern spin on the classics dinner party). A perfect balance of gooey, crispy and salty, the final product was a smash hit and definitely the favorite dish of the night. Since then, I have made these Salted Brown Butter Rice Crispy Bars numerous times. With only four ingredients and minimal effort, these treats are a top “go to” dessert in my repertoire. Continue reading for the recipe.
Salted Brown Butter Rice Crispy Bars
- 1 stick (4 oz.) unsalted butter, plus extra for the baking dish
- 1 10 oz. bag marshmallows
- Heaping ¼ teaspoon flaky sea salt (plus extra for topping)
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Butter a 9″ x 13″ baking dish and set aside.
- In a large pot, warm butter over medium low heat. The butter will melt, then foam and bubble, then start to brown. You will notice little brown bits forming at the bottom of the pan. Stir frequently during this process and keep your attention on the pot. The butter can go from wonderfully brown to burnt in just a few moments. You will know the butter is done when it gives off a nutty aroma and turns a golden brown (check out this great resource for how to brown butter).
- Turn off the heat and add the marshmallows, stirring until smooth. Add half of the cereal and stir to incorporate. Sprinkle in the flaky sea salt and remaining cereal and continue stirring until everything is fully mixed together.
- Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish. Using a silicon spatula (or piece of parchment paper), press mixture into the dish in an even layer. Sprinkle with additional flaky sea salt to taste (I added almost another ¼ teaspoon).
- Let cool, cut into bars and enjoy!