This post may contain affiliate links.
Cafe Chloe, a charming little restaurant and wine bar, is hands down my favorite French spot in San Diego. Nestled in the East Village, Cafe Chloe offers a wide variety of affordable wines, a friendly staff and a serious selection of delicious French bites. One of my favorite menu items is the Pommes Frites with Frizzled Leaks and Trio of Dips. Matchstick cut fries served with light, crisp leak wisps and three flavor packed dipping sauces. This Saffron Aioli is one of those three sauces. Aromatic saffron is blended with creamy mayonnaise, garlic, lemon, salt and white pepper. Serve with a warm baguette, crostini or a pile of hot French fries (aka Pommes Frites). So yum! Continue reading for the recipe.
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 teaspoon warm water
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 very small garlic clove or 1/2 of a medium sized clove or 1/4 of a large clove
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- White pepper
Bread, for serving
- In a small bowl, combine saffron threads and warm water. Let hydrate for a minute or two (don’t discard the water afterwards).
- In a food processor, combine saffron threads (with water), mayo, garlic, lemon juice, a pinch of kosher salt and a pinch of white pepper. Pulse a few times, then blend until well combined. Season to taste with additional kosher salt and white pepper if needed.
- Transfer to a clean bowl and serve.