This post may contain affiliate links.
Summer is almost here and the markets are just teeming with gorgeous produce. I can hardly resist smiling at the mounds of vibrant, colorful vegetables. Upon spotting a display of striped zucchini and multicolored carrots, thoughts of a fresh, summer salad immediately started running through my mind. This Summer Salad with Vanilla Vinaigrette features shaved zucchini and carrot atop crisp greens dressed in extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice and pure vanilla extract. The vinaigrette is light and bright with just a hint of vanilla flavor. Completely unique and utterly addicting. I actually never imagined such a healthy salad (as in, no bacon or ranch or blue cheese, etc.) could be so good. After photographing the plate above, I took one bite and could not stop eating. Continue reading for the recipe.
Summer Salad with Vanilla Vinaigrette
- 1 bunch young carrots
- 2 zucchini or other summer squash
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Fleur de sel or kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 handfuls of salad greens
- Wash and trim the carrots and zucchini. Using a mandolin or sharp knife, carefully slice carrots and zucchini into thin ribbons.
- In a small bowl or jar, combine extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, vanilla, a few pinches of fleur de sel and several turns of freshly ground black pepper. Whisk or shake to combine.
- To plate, place a handful of greens on a small, chilled salad plate. Top with artfully arranged carrot and zucchini ribbons (this is the fun part). Finish with a drizzle of vanilla vinaigrette. Season with additional fleur de sel and pepper if desired.
Vanilla Vinaigrette sounds lovely and i adore vanilla ANYTHING!the pics are gorgeous! Simple, overhead, dark contrast + bright and salad colors also with the dark leaves…just perfect!
Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence says
Thanks Averie! I really liked how this one came out as well 🙂
This salad is beautiful. Great picture and it sounds so refreshing!
Lori Lynn says
Hi Brandon – your salad looks psychedelic! So vibrant it seems like I can taste it from here!
Love the dressing, I made one last February with vanilla bean and lime. It was a big hit too. Vanilla in a vinaigrette is a winning combination. YAY for summer salads!
Great pic. I am getting fresh carrots and baby zucchini now so I will have to try this. I am intrigued about the flavors! Thanks.
Brian @ A Thought For Food says
Those carrots are stunning… I can just imagine how wonderfully sweet they are. Beautiful salad!
[email protected] says
What a beautiful salad!! The photos are to die for..as always. :))
Yum! I would never have thought of putting vanilla extract into a dressing, but it sounds amazing!
Karla H says
I agree–vanilla extract in a vinaigrette sounds delightful! I just bookmarked this to try it!!!
Lauren at Keep It Sweet says
I’ve never thought to add vanilla to a dressing, such a great idea!
Simply lovely and fresh salad… great photos!!
Nancy Buchanan says
I love that cookbook!! I haven’t tried this dressing yet but it’s certainly moved up on my “to make list”!
Brandon – your photos are gorgeous!!!!
I cannot wait to make thiw dressing….I am so happy I am following your blog…great posts.
Vanilla in a vinaigrette got my attention. I’m trying out your recipe pronto! Great photos.