This post may contain affiliate links.
Every time I make homemade pickles, I find myself pondering the same question after taking that first spiced, sour bite: “Why don’t I make pickles more often?” The process is SO darn easy. All you have to do is warm up a mixture of common pantry ingredients, pour over fresh vegetables and let the flavors marry for a little bit. Done! These Pickled Carrots with Dill and Serrano are made with garlic, dill seed, fennel seed, sliced serrano chile and fresh, fragrant dill. Bold and spicy, these pickles have a wonderfully complex flavor and an oh so satisfying crunch. You can also easily adapt this recipe to your own taste. Don’t like heat? Trade in the serrano chile for a anaheim or poblano. Can’t find dill seed? Omit and add some extra fresh dill. Basic pickling liquid consists of water, vinegar, salt and sugar. Where you go from there is completely up to you! Enjoy these pickles as an afternoon snack or as an accompaniment to a piled high burger. They are also super tasty with Mexican food! Continue reading for the recipe.
Pickled Carrots with Dill and Serrano
- 5 medium carrots, peeled
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1 teaspoon dill seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 serrano chile, sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill, chopped
- Slice each carrot in half widthwise then in half again lengthwise. Slice each quarter into three wedges. Place carrots into large jar. They should all fit snuggly standing up in the jar.
- Warm water, apple cider vinegar, sugar, garlic, dill seeds, fennel seeds, salt and sliced serrano in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes. Carefully pour hot pickling liquid over the carrots. Add fresh dill to the jar, secure the lid and let sit for 1 hour before refrigerating. Let the pickled carrots sit in the refrigerator for at least one day before eating.
- Carrots will keep for 2 to 3 weeks in the refrigerator.