This post may contain affiliate links.
So today I have another super fun cocktail recipe to share with all of you. It’s called the Hop, Skip, and Go Naked. This is a more sophisticated version of a college classic. Traditionally, Hop, Skip and Go Naked is made with a case of cheap beer, a fifth of bottom shelf vodka, lemon-lime soda, and lemonade or limeade frozen concentrate. Many years ago, this drink would have easily satisfied my pre-requisites for getting drunk: cheap, easy to drink, and simple to prepare. Nowadays, I no longer drink to get drunk. Instead, I like to sip on an ice cold cocktail to enjoy it’s flavor, aroma, color and (sometimes) curious subtleties. Something a little more like this version of Hop, Skip and Go Naked made with IPA, grapefruit juice, lemon vodka, and homemade lemon-lime syrup. It’s crisp, colorful, and wonderfully bitter. Plus, you won’t get a killer hangover after kicking back a few of these! Continue reading for the recipe!
Hop, Skip and Go Naked
For the Lemon Lime Simple Syrup:
- 1/2 cup 115g sugar
- 1/2 cup 120ml water
- Zest of 1 lemon, in strips
- Zest of 1 lime, in strips
For the Cocktail:
- 1 fluid ounce 30ml lemon vodka
- 1 fluid ounce 30ml freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1 teaspoon 5ml lemon-lime simple syrup (recipe follows)
- 2 fluid ounces 60ml cold IPA
- 1 long strip of grapefruit zest
- Start by making the Lemon Lime Simple Syrup. Combine sugar, water, lemon zest, and lime zest in a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Stir until the sugar has dissolved into the water. Bring the mixture to a boil, let bubble for 1 minute, then take the saucepan off the heat. Cover and let infuse for 30 minutes. Strain the syrup into a clean jar, and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
- To make the cocktail, add citrus vodka, grapefruit juice, and simple syrup to a Collins glass filled with ice. Stir until well combined and chilled. Add IPA and gently stir just to combine.
- Taste a bit of the cocktail for balance. If it is too bitter, add more simple syrup. If it is too sweet, add more grapefruit juice.
- To garnish, submerge the strip of grapefruit zest into the cocktail.