This is my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe.
I’ve actually been making these chocolate studded beauties since 2007! Over the years, I’ve tried and enjoyed many other types of chocolate chip cookies, but these are still my favorite of the bunch. Made with butter, shortening, white sugar, brown sugar, three types of chocolate, vanilla, and chopped pecans, these cookies really have it all. They’re soft and tender inside while slightly crispy at the edges. Flaky sea salt balances out the chocolate and caramel notes from the brown sugar. Oh yeah, these guys are HUGE too. Size does matter here, because you want each cookie to have plenty of the tasty mix-ins. Continue reading for the recipe.
Let’s talk mix-ins:
- Semisweet chocolate chips are the main attraction here. They’ve got a nice balance of bitter and sweet.
- Milk chocolate chips are also present to provide pops of smooth sweetness that contrast nicely with the sea salt.
- Shards of 60% bittersweet chocolate add wonderful texture along with pockets of intense chocolate flavor.
- Chopped pecans are present, but not too forward. Their smoky nuttiness pairs really well with the brown sugar.
- All chocolate must be really good quality, and pecans should be really fresh. I love to use Ghirardelli here.
That’s about it! These cookies are always a favorite with friends and family. You should definitely try them out 🙂
Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon good vanilla extract
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate squares, chopped
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Flaky sea salt, for sprinkling
Preheat an oven to 375°F, and set an oven rack in the middle position. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
Add the butter and shortening to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat at medium speed until creamy, then gradually add the sugars, beating until fluffy (3 - 4 minutes more). Beat in the eggs and vanilla until fully incorporated. In 3 additions, beat in the flour mixture until just incorporated (start the mixer slow, then increase to medium speed each time). Don't overmix here. Stir in chocolate chips and chopped pecans.
Using a 1/4 measuring cup, drop cookie dough on the prepared baking sheet at least 3-inches apart (I like to do 6 per sheet). Sprinkle each mound of dough with a little flaky sea salt. Working in batches, bake until the cookies are lightly golden brown (11 - 13 minutes). Let cookies cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Check out some of my other cookie recipes on Kitchen Konfidence:3