Hello friends and Happy Monday!!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Today’s soup recipe is a special one in partnership with Terra’s Kitchen, a meal delivery service that specializes in healthy, 30-minute meals! Jorge and I do a lot of cooking at home, but from time-to-time, we love to get meals delivered to switch things up. Terra’s Kitchen has a lot of tasty options, but I was immediately draw to this Turkey Meatballs, Kale and Orzo Soup. The recipe starts with homemade turkey meatballs, flavored with parsley, oregano and Parmesan cheese, cooked until golden under a hot broiler. Onions and carrots are then sizzled in olive oil to form the base of the soup. Chicken stock then joins the pot along with orzo, a rice-shaped pasta, kale and the golden meatballs. The dish is finished with more Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley. I just love how simple the meal was to prepare (TK pre-portions and pre-chops the ingredients), and the finished soup was both healthy and satisfying. We even added a little squeeze of lemon and a dollop of pesto at the end to add our personal touch.
Below, you’ll find a series of photos that captures the prep and cooking of this soup recipe. This is somewhat of a new style here on Kitchen Konfidence, so if you like it (or don’t!), please let me know in the comments below. Continue reading for the recipe.
Before we get to the recipe, I wanted to show you how Terra’s Kitchen sends all of the meals:
All of the ingredients come in a reusable crate that gets picked the following day. Little ice packs within keep everything cold. The crate can be re-used up to 100 times, so it really cuts down on packaging waste!
Ok now, on to the recipe 🙂
Turkey Meatballs, Kale and Orzo Soup Recipe
- 12 ounces ground turkey, preferably not 100% white meat
- 1 ounce grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped, plus more for serving
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 ounces yellow onions, chopped
- 4 1/2 ounces peeled carrot, chopped
- 3 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 3 1/2 ounces orzo
- 1 1/2 ounces chopped kale
Optional add-ins: Fresh lemon juice and pesto
- Preheat a broiler to high. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Place turkey in a large bowl with 1/2 ounce of Parmesan cheese, parsley, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Using your hands, mix together until evenly incorporated. Divide the mixture into 8 meatballs, using your hands to shape the balls. Place meatballs on the prepared baking sheet, then brush the tops evenly with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Broil until brown all over and cooked through, turning halfway through cooking (about 8 minutes total). Set aside.
- Warm 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrot, and cook, stirring occasionally until soft (2 - 3 minutes). Pour in the stock, bring to a boil, then stir in the orzo. Cook for 4 minutes, then add the kale and meatballs. Simmer (reduce heat if needed) until orzo is al dente and kale is tender (about 3 minutes more). Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- To serve, divide soup between 2 bowls, and top each serving with remaining Parmesan cheese and some chopped parsley. The soup is tasty as-is, but I also added a squeeze of fresh lemon and a spoonful of backyard pesto.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Terra’s Kitchen. The opinions and text are all mine.1