Hello friends and Happy Friday!! Today’s recipe for Date, Pecan and Coconut Bites is a sweet, healthy treat that just happens to be gluten-free, refined sugar-free and occasionally vegan.
This post may contain affiliate links.
One challenge I always face when I’m in diet mode is dessert. I’ve got a pretty big sweet tooth ;). Years ago, when I did paleo for a hot minute, I discovered a really tasty dessert made with ground dates and almonds. I’ve been making variations of these bites ever since, and today’s recipe is one of my favorites.
You start by blitzing up some pecans and flaked coconut in a food processor until ground up. Then, you pulse in some sweet, smoky dates and coconut oil to hold everything together. Finally, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt join the mix to amp up flavors. The resulting “dough” is then rolled into balls, covered in dark chocolate and topped with a variety of yummy things.
These Date, Pecan and Coconut Bites are rich, sweet and so satisfying. If you’re watching what you’re eating, enjoying just one of these bites will squash any cravings for cake, cookies and ice cream! Continue reading for the recipe.
Just like the Instant Pot Lentil Soup I recently shared, this recipe can easily be made with pantry ingredients. I’ve always got a tub of dates on hand for snacking (stuffed with some almond butter), and for making various dessert bites.
These Date, Pecan and Coconut Bites are topped with dark chocolate (the “healthy” chocolate) and these topping combinations:
- Flaked coconut + flaky sea salt
- Cocoa powder + cocoa nibs
- Black and white sesame seeds
You could certainly enjoy these treats without the chocolate and toppings, but I really do like the variety they provide. One trap I often fall into when dieting is that I’ll eat the same things over and over again. These toppings keep it interesting!
If you want to make this dessert completely vegan, just make sure you are using vegan chocolate on top (or omit).
Date, Pecan and Coconut Bites
- 1 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Kosher salt
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, melted
Toppings: flaked coconut, sea salt, cocoa powder, cocoa nibs, sesame seeds
- Add pecans and flaked coconut to a food processor, and pulse until they are the consistency of a coarse meal. Add pitted dates and coconut oil. Pulse a few times, then add vanilla, cinnamon and 2 pinches of salt. Process until everything comes together. If you see any large chunks of date, break the mixture up with a spatula, and pulse until they are broken up. Add a bit more coconut oil if the mixture seems dry.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out equal portions of the mixture, roll into balls and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle bites with melted chocolate, then sprinkle over various toppings to taste. Store bites in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 weeks.