This Green Soup is made with deeply caramelized onions, swiss chard, spinach, homemade chicken stock, lemon and cayenne pepper. This soup has no cream or milk mixed in yet it’s still incredibly creamy.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 cups chicken stock, (preferably homemade, vegetable stock would be ok too)
- 1 bunch green swiss chard (mine was just over 1 pound, tough ribs removed and coarsely chopped)
- 12 oz. spinach tough stems removed and coarsely chopped
- Big pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, plus more to taste
- Warm olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, but not smoking, add the chopped onions and a pinch of kosher salt. Cook until the onions start to brown, stirring frequently (5 - 7 minutes). Reduce heat to low, add water, cover, and cook until onions are a rich caramel color. Stir occasionally to keep the onions from burning (30 - 35 minutes).
- Uncover the pot, increase the heat to medium, and add chicken stock. Once the stock comes to simmer, add chopped chard and a big pinch of kosher salt. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in chopped spinach and cayenne, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Using a standard or immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Stir in lemon juice and taste. Season to taste with additional lemon juice and kosher salt.
To serve, ladle soup into shallow bowls and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
Tried this recipe?Tag @brandiego on Instagram so I can check it out!
This Green Soup is part of my Paleo Recipes: Week of March 18 article. Check it out here!