Spanish-Style Padron Peppers

Spanish-Style Padron Peppers

I was in Whole Foods the other day when I noticed a small pile of these padron peppers.  Intrigued, I bagged up several handfuls and headed home to do some research.  Originating from the Spanish town of Padrón, these small peppers vary in taste – some are sweet and mild while others are hot and spicy.  Keeping with tradition, I prepared these peppers simply with olive oil and sea salt.  Spanish-Style Padron Peppers are fried in olive oil until golden and caramelized then finished with a sprinkling of crunchy fleur de sel.  Sweet or spicy, these delicious little nuggets are a perfect, healthy snack.  Or double the recipe below and serve as a side dish.  The padron pepper season is very short, so I urge you to pick them up while you still can!  Continue reading for the recipe.

Padron Peppers Rinsed Padron Peppers

Spanish-Style Padron Peppers
Author:
Recipe type: Side Dish, Snack
Serves: 2

Ingredients
  • 2 heaping cups of padron peppers, rinsed and dried
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • Fleur de Sel, for sprinkling (or other flaky sea salt)
Instructions
  1. Warm extra virgin olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil starts shimmering, add the padron peppers.
  2. Cook peppers until the skin blisters and turns golden brown, stirring occasionally (8 – 10 minutes). You want the peppers to have a little texture, so don’t overcook here. Once you start seeing some of the peppers deflate, they are done.
  3. Transfer peppers to a plate then sprinkle with fleur de sel.

Share on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook
This entry was posted in Photo, Recipe, Side Dish, Snack, Vegetables and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Spanish-Style Padron Peppers

1. 1
    Miriam says:

Yes, that’s exactly how they’re prepared. And the fun about them is to wait and see who gets the fiery hot peppers… ;)

2. 2
    b.wak says:

just how I like it!
    I want some now!

3. 3
    Sheridan Sands says:

I <3 this site because I feel inspired after reading the recipes. Didn't have any of these peppers on hand, but I had a bell pepper. So I cut up the pepper and prepared it using the Spanish-Style Padron Pepper recipe, mixed in a few tablespoons of hummus, and served with lebanese pita. Delicious — the salt is fantastic with it! And I can't wait to taste those Padron peppers!

4. 4
    Nancy Buchanan says:

Warning… those things are addictive…. between these and the hatch chiles I am in heaven!!!!
    Loving your photos too… you are growing so much as a photographer!!

5. 5

I loooooove pimientos de padron! Never knew you could find them outside of Spain…doubt they’ll make it to NW Florida, though :(

6. 6
    Lynn at Sacatomato says:

Just got back from Spain. Padron peppers are so prevalent there now and cheap! I grew them in my garden this summer for the first time. My local farmers market had some this past weekend which I picked up to satiate my withdrawals from having them almost daily in Spain. Yours look beautiful Brandon!

7. 7
    RavieNomNoms says:

oo look at those beauties!

8. 8

Brandon, These Padron Peppers look fantastic! From the recipe and execution to the presentation and photography, this is a spot on post…Bravo!

9. 9

OMG, this is one of my favorite treats on the planet! Thanks for the great post.
    Kendra

10. 10
    Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. says:

These peppers look delicious! Great pictures too!

11. 11
    PolaM says:

Love these peppers! Simple and delicious: perfection!