I don’t really talk about my full time job here that much on Kitchen Konfidence, because I try to keep work and play fairly separate. For those of you following me on Twitter, you might see a work-related tweet from time to time. Over the past several months, I’ve been in overdrive preparing for a major event coming up in November. My increased workload really has affected my cooking and eating schedule. To avoid plummeting into a fast/processed food rut, I’ve had to put more ambitious food projects aside, and focus on meals that are fast, easy and most of all, tasty. This BLT with Avocado Spread is one of my go-to weeknight dinners or weekend lunches. Slices of sourdough are cooked in bacon fat until golden brown, then stuffed with crisp bacon, juicy tomato and peppery frisée. I finish this sandwich with a schmear of bright, citrusy avocado spread. This BLT is packed with satisfying flavor and texture. A perfect meal when both time and energy are limited. Continue reading for the recipe plus I’ve announced the winner of my Keys to the Kitchen giveaway!
And the winner of Aida Mollenkamp’s Keys to the Kitchen cookbook is:
Comment 27: Rachel
Congratulations! I will be contacting you via email to coordinate sending out the book. If you have not responded by 11:59pm on Sunday, October 21, I will need to select another winner. Thanks to all who participated!
This spread is a simple celebration of the avocado. Flavored with just salt, lime and black pepper, this creamy condiment really lets the pure avocado flavor shine through.
- 1 avocado
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- Several frisée leaves
- 2 slices tomato
- Cut avocado in half, remove the seed, and scoop flesh into a small bowl. Add lime juice, salt to taste and several turns of freshly ground black pepper. Using a fork, mash mixture until all ingredients are well combined. Consistency should be somewhat chunky.
- Add bacon slices to a cold skillet and cook over low heat. Cook bacon, flipping occasionally, until crispy. This method takes a little longer, but will ensure that your bacon doesn’t curl up. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain off excess grease.
- Increase heat under the skillet to medium. After a few moments lay sourdough slices down in the bacon grease. Cook bread until golden brown on one side then flip. Once the second side is lightly golden, transfer bread to the paper towel-lined plate with the bacon.
- Spoon some of the avocado spread on the sides of the bread that are lightly golden. Arrange frisée, sliced tomato and cooked bacon on top of one slice of bread. Close the sandwich, then cut in half.
Related recipes and articles: