October is National Pizza Month, and this year, I am celebrating with this Pesto and Salami Pizza recipe sponsored by Vons.
This post may contain affiliate links.
Prosciutto and pepperoni usually get all the attention at our house, but this year, I’m giving some love to another cured Italian meat: salami.
This pizza, featuring Primo Taglio® products from Vons, is topped with low moisture mozzarella, fresh mozzarella, dry salami and grated Parm, and then cooked in a fiery oven until golden and bubbly. The pizza is then finished with dabs of fresh basil pesto. Each bite is rich and savory with moments of freshness from the pesto. So easy and so delicious. Continue reading for the recipe.
The Primo Taglio ingredients featured here are their high quality Italian Dry Salami, Fresh Mozzarella and Grated Parmesan Cheese. Each of these ingredients is made using the finest ingredients, traditional preparations and no artificial colors or flavors.
I got each of these products at my local Vons, but you can also find them at any of the Albertsons Companies family of stores. Vons also offers Grocery Delivery and Drive Up & Go™ if you’re looking for a convenient (and socially distant!) way to grab these delicious ingredients.
This recipe is fairly straightforward, but here are a few tips to ensure maximum deliciousness:
- Only use about 3/4 cup tomato sauce for a large ball of dough. It may not seem like enough, but if you use more, you could risk a soggy pizza.
- Don’t forget to add salt! Cheese, salami and pesto are all fatty ingredients, so you need a little salt to lift flavors. I like to salt my pizza dough and add a bit more once the toppings are on.
- Cook your pizza in a very hot oven (500°F) on the lowest rack possible. This will allow you to develop a golden crust with some charred bits on the bottom.
- Always add pesto after the pizza comes out of the oven. If you add it before, the pesto will cook with the pizza and lose its freshness.
Pesto and Salami Pizza Recipe
- 1 ball of pizza dough
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 8 ounces shredded low moisture mozzarella
- 3/4 cup canned tomato sauce
- 3 ounces Primo Taglio Fresh Mozzarella, torn into smaller pieces
- 15 slices Primo Taglio Dry Salami
- Primo Taglio Grated Parmesan Cheese, for dusting
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons basil pesto
Preheat an oven to 500°F, and set an oven rack in the lowest possible position. Lightly coat a pizza pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Stretch pizza dough into a round large enough to fit the pizza pan. Very lightly drizzle the dough with olive oil, using your hands to evenly spread the oil around. Sprinkle dough with a small pinch of kosher salt. Top pizza evenly with grated mozzarella cheese, then spread the sauce over the cheese. It may seem like it’s not enough sauce but trust me, it is. Season with a sprinkling of kosher salt. Top evenly with fresh mozzarella and slices of salami. Finish with a dusting of grated Parmesan cheese and several turns of black pepper.
Transfer pizza to the oven on the lowest rack and cook until the crust is golden brown (bottom and crust) and the cheese is nice and bubbly (9 – 11 minutes).
To serve, dab pesto evenly around the surface of the pizza. Cut into 8 slices and enjoy immediately!
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Vons. All opinions are 100% mine.7