I’m keeping things short and sweet today.
And when I say short, I’m referring to the serious lack of time it takes to blend up this delicious, non-alcoholic beverage. The sweetness comes in two forms. First, chunks of watermelon ripe with fragrant, sweet juices are blended and strained, forming the most vibrant-colored liquid. The pure essence of watermelon really. Second, sweet and spicy Ginger Syrup is added to the mix for depth of flavor. The drink is finished with freshly squeezed lime juice for balance, and sparkling water to lighten the texture. This Watermelon Ginger Spritzer is crisp, seasonal, and incredibly refreshing. A perfect summer beverage. Continue reading for the recipe.
You’ll want to make this recipe right now while watermelons are in season. When selecting a watermelon at the market, be sure it pick up several to compare size and weight. Pick the watermelon that is heavy for its size. If you plan on making this drink with out-of-season watermelons, you may need to add a little more Ginger Syrup.
Part of this recipe is made “to taste.” Here’s what that means: people have varying tastes when it comes to sweet, salt and sour. You may like your beverages a bit on the sweet side while someone else prefers tart flavors. So it’s hard to write one recipe to fit everyone’s tastes. To make this drink your own, the tools at hand are: Ginger Syrup (sweet) and lime juice (sour). Start with the base recipe below, and add more Ginger Syrup or lime juice until the flavors 100% work for you. Just be careful not to add too much. This isn’t a Ginger Lime Spritzer (although that sounds delicious). It’s a Watermelon Ginger Spritzer.
- 6 cups cubed seedless watermelon (you don't have to be overly precise here)
- 1/2 cup Ginger Syrup*
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup cold sparkling water
- Fresh mint sprigs, for garnish
- Ice cubes, for serving
- Place cubed watermelon in a blender, and process until smooth, working in batches if needed. Pour mixture through a strainer into a large, clean pitcher. Discard any solids caught in the strainer.
- Add Ginger Syrup and lime juice, stirring to combine. Sample the mixture, and add more Ginger Syrup or lime juice to taste (if needed). Stir in the sparkling water. To serve, pour into a short glass over ice, and garnish with a sprig of mint. Want to make this a boozy spritzer? Just add vodka!