I have a confession to make.
I absolutely LOVE buffalo chicken dip. Two years ago, one of my best gal pals brought a classic buffalo chicken dip to my first backyard barbecue of the season. After just one bite, I was hooked and spent the rest of the afternoon blissfully dipping away. Since then, I either ask that friend to bring buffalo chicken dip to every party, or I make my own version. Let’s dig in.
Classic buffalo chicken dip is a simple mix of cream cheese, ranch dressing, cooked chicken, blue cheese and hot sauce. The mixture is then warmed in the oven and enjoyed with chips, bread and/or celery sticks. I’ve kicked things up a notch with the addition of chopped bacon, scallion greens and fresh parsley. This colorful topping provides mouth-watering contrast in flavor and texture. If you’ve never had a dip like this before, you should definitely try this recipe. It’s SO addicting. Continue reading for the buffalo chicken dip recipe.
I’ve partnered with Food Should Taste Good on this recipe, and their Lime Tortilla Chips are a perfect pairing here. The chips are made with real lime juice and pack a nice acidic punch. This sharpness is a good contrast to the rich, spicy dip.
You can easily turn this buffalo chicken dip into a party with the addition of some ice cold IPAs. The bitterness of the beer really stands up to the bold flavors of hot sauce, bacon and blue cheese.
Bacon and Scallion Buffalo Chicken Dip comes together with minimal effort in about 30 minutes. You should keep in mind that the cream cheese needs to be room temperature. If it’s cold, it won’t incorporate well into the dip. The flavor will be the same, but the texture will be lumpy.
The dip can also be prepared in advance through Step 2. Simply bake off right before the party, and top right before serving. Be sure to have plenty of Lime Tortilla Chips, sliced bread and celery sticks ready for dipping!
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature (this is important)
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ranch dressing power (optional)
- 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese, divided (1/4 for filling, 1/2 for topping)
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded (just over 1 pound of cooked meat total)
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 4 strips cooked bacon, chopped or crumbled
- 3 sliced scallions, dark green parts only
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Food Should Taste Good Lime Tortilla Chips, for serving
- IPA beer, for serving
- Preheat an oven to 350°F, and place a rack in the middle position.
- Add cream cheese, ranch dressing, ranch dressing powder, and 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese to a large bowl, stirring to combine. Fold in shredded chicken and hot sauce, and mix until evenly combined.
- Transfer chicken mixture to a small, shallow baking dish, and bake for 20 minutes until mixture is warm and the edges start to bubble. As soon as the mixture comes out of the oven, top with remaining 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese.
- Right before serving, sprinkle the dip evenly with chopped bacon, sliced scallions and fresh parsley. Serve with Food Should Taste Good Lime Tortilla Chips and ice cold IPAs.
This post was written in partnership with Food Should Taste Good. All thoughts, opinions and recipes are my own. Connect with Olmeca Food Should Taste Good on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.