This post may contain affiliate links.
Baby candy beets are one of those adorable vegetables I often admire at the store, but never actually purchase. Usually found at fancy restaurants, these beets are sweet, earthy and oh so pretty. Their skin varies between vibrant hues of red and pink. When cut open, baby candy beets are red and pink with white stripes throughout. Opting for their larger brethren, I never really had a use for baby candy beets. Until this smoothie. Made with frozen mixed berries and roasted candy beets, this substantial smoothie is packed with bold flavors perfect for a warm summer morning. Simply roast a bunch of these beets over the weekend, store in the refrigerator, and use throughout the week. Their small size speeds up roasting time and makes portioning an easy task. Continue reading for more pictures plus a link to the recipe!
Start with Greek yogurt and honey.
Then add almonds and freshly squeezed orange juice.
Mixed Berry and Candy Beet Smoothie
- 2 baby candy beets, washed and trimmed of greens*
- Canola oil (or other unflavored oil)
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (low-fat is fine)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons almonds
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 2 to 3 ice cubes
- Orange slices, to garnish
- Roast the beets. Preheat oven to 375°F. Place candy beets on a square of aluminum foil. Drizzle with a little canola oil, then wrap the foil tightly around the beets. Cook beets in the oven until an inserted knife meets little resistance (25 – 35 minutes). Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Prepare the beets. Once the beets are cool enough to handle, rub the skin off using a paper towel. You can also use a spoon to gently scrape off any skin. Discard skins. Rough chop the two beets and measure out a heaping 1/3 cup. Save any leftovers for another use.
- Assemble the smoothie. To a blender add Greek yogurt, honey, orange juice, almonds, berries, chopped beets and ice. Blend until smooth (at least 1 minute).
- Pour smoothie into a glass and garnish with slice of fresh orange. You can prepare this smoothie a few hours in advance, but it is best enjoyed immediately.