Happy New Year everyone!! During the week, Jorge and I mainly eat oatmeal for breakfast, so I thought it would be fitting to kick off a healthful 2020 with this recipe for Peanut Butter Overnight Oats.
This post may contain affiliate links.
The process here is a simple one: stir together old fashioned oats, milk, peanut butter, yogurt, vanilla, chia seeds, cinnamon and honey, and then let rest in the fridge overnight. The oats soften in the fridge as they sit, so no cooking is required! The next day, top the creamy oats with more peanut butter, roasted peanuts, jam and coconut flakes, and you’ve got yourself a healthy, satisfying breakfast in a matter of moments!
That’s the beauty of overnight oats. You get most of the work done the day before, so you can have a delicious breakfast with minimal effort the next day. You can even prepare a big batch and enjoy over several days throughout the week! Continue reading for the recipe.
Most of the ingredients required for this recipe are pretty straight-forward, and you may already have them in your pantry! I used organic, natural peanut butter here (from Costco!), and the ingredients listed are just peanuts and sea salt. If you use a peanut butter with sugar in it, you may want to decrease the amount of honey you mix in. Perhaps start with 1 tablespoon, taste the mixture, and then add more if needed.
Also, I’ve added some Greek yogurt here for creaminess, tanginess and nutrients. I’d recommend using full fat Greek yogurt, a great source for healthy fat and protein.
Given that overnight oats have a soft, creamy texture, I like to add some crunchy toppings for contrast. Here, I’ve sprinkled on some coconut flakes and salted, roasted peanuts, but feel free to use whatever you have on hand. Any nut would be good here!
Jam is another fun topping. Strawberry, blueberry or blackberry jam would be lovely, giving this breakfast a PB&J vibe. During the summer months, you could sub out the jam for ripe, fresh berries.
Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup oat milk (you can use any dairy or non-dairy milk here)
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (go for full fat here)
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
For topping: jam, coconut flakes, more peanut butter, roasted peanuts, chia seeds
- Add oats, milk, yogurt, peanut butter, honey, chia seeds, vanilla, cinnamon and salt to a medium bowl, whisking to combine. Cover and let chill in the refrigerator overnight (or at least 4 hours).
- Divide overnight oats between 2 bowls and top each with jam, coconut flakes, roasted peanuts, chia seeds and a drizzle of peanut butter.
Looking for more healthy breakfast recipes on Kitchen Konfidence? Try these:25