So I am happy to announce that Kitchen Konfidence is officially 2 years old (as of July 15th)!! To celebrate this milestone, I’m sharing this luscious Strawberry Bourbon Ice Cream. Freshly made strawberry-bourbon sauce is swirled into creamy strawberry bourbon ice cream, creating a frozen treat nothing short of heaven. With each bite, you’ll enjoy a punch of sweet-tart strawberry followed by a smooth, pleasant taste of bourbon. So. Yum.
Last year I celebrated my blogiversary with a super tasty green bean salad. I decided to go with ice cream this year, because it’s one of my favorite desserts to make. Once you get the process down, you’ll be able to create a plethora of different ice cream flavors. It may seem daunting at first, but I assure you, it gets much, much easier each time you do it. Before we get to the recipe, I just wanted to say thanks to all of you who have continued to read Kitchen Konfidence over these past two years. It’s really been a pleasure and I’m looking forward to the many years to come! Continue reading for the recipe.
- For ice cream base:
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons whole milk (divided)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons corn starch
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup Strawberry Infused Bourbon
- For the strawberry-bourbon sauce:
- 2 cups ripe strawberries
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- In a small bowl, add 2 tablespoons whole milk and cornstarch, stirring to combine. Set aside.
- Add softened cream cheese and fine grain sea salt to a medium bowl and whisk until smooth. Place a fine mesh basket strainer over the bowl and set aside.
- Prepare an ice bath in a large bowl (cold water and ice).
- In a medium saucepan, combine remaining 2 cups of whole milk, heavy cream, corn syrup and white sugar, stirring to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium high heat and let bubble for 4 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and gradually whisk in the milk-cornstarch mixture.
- Bring the mixture back to a boil over medium high heat, stirring frequently. Cook until slightly thickened (about 1 minute). Remove from the heat.
- Slowly pour the hot milk mixture through the strainer into the bowl with the cream cheese, then whisk until smooth. Stir in Strawberry Infused Bourbon. Float the bowl containing the ice cream base in the prepared ice bath and chill until cold (about 30 minutes). Stirring the mixture occasionally can speed this process up. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled (at least 4 hours).
- While the mixture is chilling, prepare the strawberry-bourbon sauce. Combine strawberries, 1 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons bourbon in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring mixture to a boil and bubble away for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool before adding to ice cream.
- Freeze ice cream base in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer to a container and swirl in strawberry-bourbon sauce. Finish by freezing the ice cream until hard or enjoy soft immediately.
Related links and recipes:
KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Attachment [this is what I use]