Eat this Breakfast Quinoa for… breakfast, and you’ll have all the energy you need to punch any early morning right in the face.
Like earthen red confetti, tender quinoa is tossed with jewel-toned beets and tangerine. Honey is added for sweetness, and toasted almond for crunch. This bowl full of superfoods is finished with a rich cloud of whole milk ricotta, and a final flurry of grated tangerine zest. Healthy? Check. Hearty? Check. Delicious? Double check.
In addition to becoming the newest recipe in my healthy breakfast repertoire, this Breakfast Qunioa is also my contribution to the Melissa’s Produce Challenge currently going on between a number of San Diego Food Bloggers. We were challenged to come up with a tasty recipe using a mixture of items provided by Melissa’s Produce, and items in our own pantry. Continue reading for the recipe plus a collection of links from the Melissa’s Produce Challenge.
This recipe uses a number of fantastic products available from Melissa’s Produce, including Red Quinoa, Ojai Pixie Tangerines, and Steamed Red Beets. If you don’t have access to these products, check out the recipe below that includes ingredient substitutions.
Use this recipe as a starting point to come up with any number of delicious variations. Instead of the beet, orange, almond combination, try:
- Coconut, Cashew, Crystallized Ginger, Lime
- Peach, Cinnamon, Pecan, Maple Syrup (instead of honey)
- Mixed Berry, Pine Nut, Basil
- Black Cherry, Hazelnut, Chocolate
- Fig, Walnut, Date
The possibilities are endless once you start thinking about them!
- 1 package (6 oz) Melissa's Red Quinoa (white quinoa would be nice here as well)
- 2 1/3 cups water
- Kosher salt
- 3 strips of Melissa's Ojai Pixie Tangerine zest (any tangerine or orange would work here), plus additional grated zest for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1 Melissa's Steamed Red Beet*, coarsely grated (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 Melissa's Oja Pixie Tangerines, skin removed and segments chopped (any tangerine or orange would work here)
- Whole milk ricotta cheese
- Place red quinoa in a fine mesh strainer, and rinse under cold, running water for a few minutes. Set aside.
- Add water to a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the quinoa, a pinch of kosher salt, a squeeze of honey, and the tangerine zest, stirring to combine. Return the mixture to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until the quinoa has absorbed all of the water (25 - 35 minutes). Fish out tangerine zest and discard.
- Place most of the chopped almonds, grated beets, and chopped tangerines in a large bowl (reserve a little bit of each for garnish). Drizzle over 2 tablespoons of honey, gently stirring to combine. Add cooked quinoa, and gently toss to combine.
- Divide quinoa between 2 bowls (or 4 small bowls). Scatter over reserved chopped almonds, grated beets, and chopped tangerines. Add a dollop of ricotta to each bowl, and finish with a sprinkling of grated tangerine zest. Serve with additional honey and ricotta.