Golden Brussels Sprouts

Golden Brussels Sprouts

I’ve already shown you how to prepare one of my favorite brussels sprouts side dishes.  Here is another favorite.  Made with only a few ingredients, this side dish is easy, healthy and so amazingly delicious.  Halved brussels sprouts are caramelized to golden brown perfection then tossed with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.  Serve these vibrant little nuggets beside a baked chicken breast and fluffy brown rice.  They also pair well with juicy strips of grilled skirt steak and roasted potatoes.  Continue reading for the recipe.

Brussels Sprouts Golden Brussels Sprouts
Adapted from 101 Cookbooks.

20 – 24 small brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, plus more to toss
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Grated Parmesan cheese

Brussels Sprouts

Place halved brussels sprouts in a medium sized bowl and toss gently with a small glug of extra virgin olive oil.

Warm 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a large frying pan or skillet over medium heat.  Once the oil starts to shine a bit, swirl around the pan, so the oil coats the entire surface.  Test the heat by placing one sprout cut side down in the pan.  You should hear a slight sizzle.  Anything more and the pan is too hot.  You don’t want the sprouts to burn on the outside before their insides finish cooking.  Working quickly, place the rest of the sprouts cut side down in the pan in a single layer.  Do not try to overcrowd the sprouts.  They can be touching; however, any sprouts that do not fit in the single layer, save for another batch or another use.  Season with a pinch of kosher salt and cover.

Let the brussels sprouts cook for approximately 5 minutes.  The flat bottoms should be slightly golden and the sprouts should be tender.  Test for tenderness by spearing one of the sprouts with a fork.  If the fork goes in and out with minimal resistance, the sprouts are cooked through.  If you find your sprouts are not quite done, cover and let cook for an additional 1 – 2 minutes.  I like to take a moment and move some of the darker golden brussels sprouts from the center of the pan to the outside and the barely colored sprouts from the outside in.

Once tender, uncover and turn up the heat from medium to medium-high.  Cook the brussels sprouts until the flat bottoms are deeply golden and caramelized.  Using a spatula, flip the sprouts so the rounded sides can get a little color.  Season with additional kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.  Finish with a heavy dusting of grated Parmesan cheese.

Makes 4 servings.

Comments

Brussels sprouts! They are my favorite vegetable. This is exactly the same way I like to prepare them… nothing fancy to mask the flavor. All those little leaves that fall off as you trim the sprouts, I like to throw those into the pan also because they turn nice and crispy while roasting. I can seriously eat brussels sprouts like it were popcorn.

2. t says

This is the best way to have Brussel sprouts! I’ve always liked them, even as a kid. And Brussel sprouts are the best during the winter because they’re sweet in the winter (I find them bitter in the summer).

I, too, hated Brussels sprouts as a child. I am so glad that my husband insisted we try cooking them … and this is the way we do it also. So simple and so delish … we sometimes mix it up a bit and put strips of pancetta in the roasting pan too for a salty ham flavor. Delish!

4. RavieNomNoms says

Wow, those are so gorgeous. The color on them is so vibrant…I bet they taste amazing! I actually didn’t start to like brussels sprouts until I was in my 20s. I am so glad I overcame my fear of them though, they are delicious!

Love Brussels sprouts! I wish they didn’t have such a bad reputation. I feel like people are missing out! This recipe sounds simple and straight forward and I love your beautiful photos!

I saw those stalks of Brussels sprouts at Trader Joe’s, too. I was all set to make them for Thanksgiving, but had fewer people than I had originally planned, so we had to much food.
    will definitely try these for Christmas.

@Sprinkled with Flour I have a friend who said the same thing! He always had them boiled and flavorless. When he tried these sprouts, he had a whole new outlook on brussels sprouts!!

@Kristin King Try sneaking these little guys on the his plate. Perhaps placing the golden-brown cut sides up. Trick him into thinking they are some manner of deep fried deliciousness. The caramelization process completely changes the taste of your average brussels sprouts.

@turkey’s for life Do it.

@Susan Brussels sprouts and bacon are like bff besties. When I am not preparing them this way or in a gratin, I make them with bacon or pancetta.

@Stephanie I agree. I feel like I always need to give a major sales pitch when I serve brussels sprouts at a dinner party.

8. B weller says

Wow! I hated Brussel sprouts, as we got them every night in my British school–little bitter knots of boiled yuckyness. But I tried this recipe and they are delicious beyond words!

9. Jamie C says

Made the for Christmas dinner, all devoured. Making again tonight just because…..they were so yummy of course.