Did you know that there are around 87 million pounds of avocados purchased for Cinco de Mayo celebrations here in the US? Crazy, right?!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Well given that we’re going to be in an avo frenzy over the next week, I thought I’d take a moment and share a recent project I’ve been having a lot of fun with! For the past few months, I’ve been developing recipes for the California Avocado Commission’s blog, The Scoop, and it’s been quite the tasty adventure. I’ve always been a big fan of avocados, but this recent project has really pushed me to use them in creative ways. For example: Bagels with Smoked Salmon and Herbed Avocado Spread. Ripe, creamy California Avocados are blitzed with lemon juice, cream cheese, chives, dill and black pepper until smooth. The finished spread is fresh, tangy and perfect on a toasted everything bagel. Blushing slices of smoked salmon are draped on top of the bagel, then adorned with traditional accompaniments like red onion and capers. Make this dish for a special brunch celebration or on any morning you just want to treat yourself. I’ve got a link to the recipe below!
Oh, and if you’re looking for tasty ways to use avocados for Cinco de Mayo, check out these recipes: Green Goddess Guacamole, Bacon and Tomato Guacamole, Roasted Fennel and Apple Guacamole.
Bagels with Smoked Salmon and Herbed Avocado Spread
For the spread:
- 1 Ripe California Avocado, seeded, peeled, sliced and at room temperature
- 3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely sliced chives
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped dill
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the bagels:
- Plain and/or everything bagels, cut in half and toasted
- Smoked salmon, or lox
- Thinly sliced red onion
- Fresh dill
- Lemon wedges
- To make the Herbed Avocado Spread, add sliced avocado, cream cheese, lemon juice and 3/4 teaspoon salt in a small food processor, pulsing several times to combine. Add chives, dill and several turns of black pepper, then blitz until well-combined. The mixture won’t be completely smooth. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- To serve, schmear bagels with Herbed Avocado Spread. Top will smoked salmon, sliced red onion, capers and dill to taste. Serve lemon wedges on the side.
averie @ averie cooks says
Looks delish and that is an amazing stat about how many avocados are consumed for Cinco de Mayo!
This is really smart! Certainly more fun than just plain cream cheese! Love it.
Brandon Matzek says
This is the next meal for our writer’s club. Thank you Brandon, will taste great and what a beautiful dish. You have talent.
Brandon Matzek says
Thanks Pauline!! Let me know how it turns out 🙂